Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A little of this, a little of that

I'm slowly making my way back to better habits. As I am starting to feel better, I'm noticing my eating is also getting better. I have plans to get into the gym later today too. All is just about right with the world.

Well, almost. My poor son has been suffering with a stomach ache since Friday night. He has stomach aches quite often and has been diagnosed with Migraines and abdominal migraines. His gastroenterologist has done every test but the endoscopy on him. He said he may have celiac or a gluten intolerance but his stomach aches aren't that bad, do we really want to put him through the endoscopy?  No. He has seen a neurologist. The neurologist confirmed that he's probably experiencing abdominal migraines along with his regular migraines.

Anyway, he's had this stomach ache since Friday. By Sunday his eyes looked like they were shrinking (I know it sounds crazy, but it's true) and he had the red/black rings around them that said he wasn't sleeping and looked malnourished. I suppose he was the latter; he hardly ate all weekend long. He did finally vomit and felt much better (typical with the migraines), but the discomfort has yet to go away. I sent him to school today anyway. He stayed home yesterday and was fine all day. Needless to say, he is home. The nurse won't take him back until he has a note from the good doctor. Just one more thing to add to the to-do list.

And back to me. I've made a decision. I'm going to go gluten free (again). Here is my reasoning:

1. I was gluten free for about 6-8 months a few years ago and felt pretty good.

2. I came across a study that was done showing a possible link between MGUS and gluten intolerance/celiac disease.

3. I have Hashimoto's (thyroiditis). After doing much reading on that subject, it seems there is a possible link with gluten intolerance.

4. I've read that in general, if you have an auto-immune disease, going gluten free may help with the symptoms.

So, there you have it. I have an appointment with the nutritionist next week to go over some stuff. I will probably carb load a bit this week - all within reason, just want to get my faves in before they are a no-no. We'll see what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment