Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer lovin'

It's HOT outside!  And I mean H-O-T!

The temperature has been hanging out in the 70's for the last few weeks. We've even needed sweaters or a light "spring" jacket most mornings. Even yesterday was a little on the chilly side. Then someone turned the heat on. And I don't mean just turned it up...I mean UP! We are currently sitting at 96 degrees! 

I'm not a summer time gal. Don't get me wrong, I like being outside, I like nature but I HATE being hot. I get very cranky and just hate the heat!  And when it gets hot like this I think about how much I hate being obese. It's that much harder to cope in the heat. Everything sticks to me and it makes it that much more difficult to move around. I guess it helps to keep the eating in check but it's that much more difficult to get the exercise in. 

Speaking of exercise...I went for my first walk in nearly 6 months. I can't believe it's been that long since I last worked out!  I'm disappointed in myself for letting myself go that long but I've finally taken the first steps back into the exercise scene. 

Yeah, so hubs and I went for a walk last night and I realized how out-of-shape I am. We kept the walk to about a mile (a little over) and it took us almost 25 minutes to complete it. Part of the problem was my feet. They really slowed me down, but I pushed through the pain and told myself I can't use my foot pain as an excuse not to exercise anymore. That excuse has been with me for too long and has enabled me to gain nearly 30 pounds back! Not. Any. More. Having Plantar Faciitous is painful, but it's not going to do me any harm to continue to walk. It's not like having a knee or rotator cuff injury; sure, rest helps, but it's not going to make it all better. So I am releasing my biggest excuse. Ahhh...it's like a load has been taken off of my shoulder. 

And back to the heat. Not sure yet what I am going to do for exercise today. It's really too hot to go for a walk and my pool is just too cold just yet for my bones to get into (note, I am allergic to the cold AND to the sun so I need to be really careful on both fronts). The AC is cranking so I may just pull out the treadmill and give that a go or I'll pop in one of the Bob Harper DVDs. Either way, I will get moving!  Promise. 

Stay cool! 



1 comment:

  1. I am not a hot weather person, either! Michigan summers are bad enough, but we visited Arkansas in July a few years back - I thought both me & the girl were going to melt! The humidity is insane down there, but everywhere we went, the MIL looked crisp & cool, not a single droplet of sweat or wrinkle in her cotton blouse & skirt. I don't get it!

    Good job on the walk!

    ReplyDelete