Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stress

Danzae Pace ~ Stress is the trash of modern life - we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life ~

Well, if that isn't the truth, I don't know what is! Finding good, healthy ways to deal with stress is so important to both our mental as well as physical health. 

I, for one, am working on just that. I'm carrying around a lot of stress (who isn't?).  I know I need to deal with stress in ways which are helpful rather than hurtful. It's finding those ways and breaking bad habits that is so hard. It's a daily struggle.

How do I feel stress?  I clench my teeth! My jaw is constantly tight (especially at night while I sleep). I've broken two teeth thus far and have cracks in a few others. I finally got a night guard to help with the clenching; if only I would remember to wear it!  

How do I cope with stress?  In two main ways: 

1. I eat. I eat a lot. I find anything (chocolate) that will help me feel better. All while knowing the food isn't making me feel better. It's making me feel worse. I feel sick to my stomach for eating bad choices, then I feel the tremendous amount of guilt and shame that goes along with it. Then I think of why I would put myself through this vicious cycle time and time again and think "I will never do this again". Only to be right back to that place the next time something is bothering me. 

2. I shop. I've gotten much better with this one. Really, I have! No joke! But, I need to tighten up a bit more. Right now the shopping addiction is cause for some of my stress. What can I say? I like my scrapping supplies and I love to dress the kids in cute clothes because I can't wear cute things myself (yet).  

There, I said it. Two of my biggest addictions are laid out there for you to see and read. Now, I have to face them and deal with them. It's the how I'm going to deal with them that's so important. 

Today's huge accomplishment was how I dealt with my stress. Today was a bad day as far as stress goes. I wanted to take part in old habits of reaching for the treats to numb-it all away. But I didn't. I talked myself out of it. The time I put in at the gym coupled with the fact that I KNOW it's not going to make things better, made me stop from jumping off the edge. Instead, I chose to pour my energy into research. Researching ways to help me feel better about the place I am in today so tomorrow can be better. 

How do you handle stress?  What are some better ways we could all use to cope with stress in a more helpful/healthful way?

Here's my list of things for me to try the next time I want to turn to food (or shopping)
1. Call a friend
2. Read a book
3. Go for a walk
4. Dance. I love music. We all should dance more often! 
5. Play a game with the kids
6. Clean (not fun, but it gets things done). 

No comments:

Post a Comment