Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Saying Good-Bye and Moving On

MIA again! So sorry! It's been a rough road. Just had to say good-bye to my last living grandparent! Now I am am grieving two grandparents at once. Man! It's rough. I know though that both of them would want me to keep on keeping on. So, I am brushing myself off and am going to make a go at it. Starting now! It's a new day and a new path. Can't wait to see where it leads me.

Just a bit about my Grandfather though before I get started on me. Here is a copy of his Eulogy that was eloquently written by my mother...what a guy!

"Google his name and the story of a man who was a true hero will emerge. He was a WWII ranger, fought on D day, was one of the famed “Boys of Point Du Hoc” a phrase coined by President Reagan in a speech delivered in Normandy commemorating D-Day.

His bravery that day along with the rest of the men he served with will long be remembered. The rangers scaled the cliffs and took out the guns protecting the beaches so that the rest of our forces could land and advance inland. Ultimately ending the war. He was injured several times and witnessed many horrific events including the loss of his own brother but yet he fought on.


When the war ended he came home with a goal. Raise a family, have a garden and live out a peaceful life in Derry, leaving the memories of the war long behind him. For many years he did just that, his own children were not even aware of what he had done in the war. Then as years went by and he began getting calls from researchers and historians who wanted to hear the stories, the truth of his heroism slowly began to emerge.


In the last 20 years he has rec'd numerous awards and accolades. The most prestigious being the French medal of honor which he rec'd in a special ceremony attended by members of the NH congress, US senators and other dignitaries most notably a delegation from the French government. He was invited to France to receive this highest honor but he was not well enough to travel so they delivered it to him. Feb 4, 2010 was declared to be Walter Borowski day in the state of NH. His children, and grandchildren and all of his family and friends were so proud that day but even then, always a humble man he did not want to be called a hero.


All of the heroism and accolades aside. Who was this man? He was “dad” to his children Tom, John and Sue. He was Jaju to his grandchildren Jen and Johnny and he was great jaju to his great grandchildren Curtis, Logan and Tessa.


As anyone who knew him will attest to one of his favorite expressions was “I tell it like it is” and indeed he did. Never one to mince words he always spoke his mind. Words we should all live by.

From the days of his Ranger training until the end of his life he stood tall, proud and strong. Whenever I visited he would say “I'll feel better tomorrow, as soon as I get my strength back. He was never willing to give up. These are the things that defined him and made him who he was. This is his legacy that he leaves to his family.


I am very proud to be a Borowski and my son John, his grandson is proud to carry the name into the next generation.


As we say goodbye to you today Walter we will think of you in heaven reunited with your beloved Helen. Every time I hear the early morning birds singing I will be reminded of how you loved to feed them. Every time I see a hummingbird I will remember how they came to rest on your flowers and whenever I smell wild roses I will think of you and the ones that bloomed in the front of your house. You will always be in our memory and we know you are building that beautiful garden that you so loved for all eternity.

You are home and at peace.

God bless"


That brings me to tears every time I read it! There wasn't a dry-eye in the place either!


Putting all that behind me now and am on my way to moving on!


Good news! I won a copy of Jillian Michaels "Master Your Metabolism Cookbook" (the link to her website isn't working as of the writing of this blog) from WellBella magazine! Thanks Guys! I got it in the mail the other day and was very excited to start reading! There were a lot of "ah-ha!" moments. She's very scientific in her writing though. A little too much so for my ADD brain :). I'm going to give her advice a shot though.


This morning I made some Quiona Crunch from the cookbook. Not too bad! I can't wait to try it in my yogurt - will let you know what I think. I also made some steel-cut oats for the kids and I to try. I didn't have her ingredients on hand so I made due with the package suggestions. I was pleasantly surprised! The texture is different, but the taste isn't so bad. Just added a little brown sugar and a splash of maple syrup and we were good to go. Even my 6 year old liked it! That says a lot because he doesn't like anything!!!


And an update on the Biggest Loser. I was going to try out again but have decided that I really can't handle rejection with all that's been going on in my life as of late. So for now, I will need all the support I can get from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment