Monday, September 6, 2010

A fresh start

It's Monday night of Labor Day Weekend and what a weekend it was!  We had some great family time and fun, but it's now time to get back into the rhythm of School Days!  

My son is starting the first grade and will be taking lunches to school for the first time. He's a very picky eater.  He never used to be.  He used to eat anything and everything that we put in front of him. No questions asked. Now? Not-so-much. He started being picky sometime during Kindergarten.  Not sure if it's because he sees me being picky, if it's something he picked up in school, or it could just be his age.  No matter, it just makes packing lunches that more difficult! 

They say to let your child help in the planning of lunches. Let them shop with you and help prepare their meals. OK, so I've asked him what he wants; "chicken wings off the chicken from the store"...you know, the in-store prepared rotisserie chicken that is great in a pinch.  Those chicken wings have less than a bite of chicken on them - not a very filling lunch.  But a great idea!  What else? Well, he asked for egg salad (he's hated egg salad forever - loves eggs; loves mayo, hates egg salad?). I tried making some for him today and "Mikey! He likes it!" 

My point to all this is that I need to put as much effort into myself as I do with my kids. I try to make sure their meals are balanced. If I leave out a piece of broccoli, I beat myself up for it for days. If I took as much care of myself as I did my kids, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I love my kids. I don't want them to have the weight issues and the baggage that comes along with it. I am on top of their eating habits like white on rice. Now it's my turn! 

I am taking a vow of good, healthy eating for the rest of September. There will be no eating out. I will have 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and I will count my calories - weigh and measure as I go along.  I WILL drink my water!  That's a huge one for me. Been feeling run down without my water. I am also going to pledge to walk 7.5 miles each week - that's 1.5 miles a day for 5 days each week. My 10th wedding anniversary is 13+ months away and I will be 100 pounds lighter by then! 

My first breakfast will be:
2 eggs - organic - cage free
pepper and onions
whole wheat english muffin

Snack:
Greek yogurt 
carrots

Lunch: 
Whole Wheat pasta with organic made marinara

Snack:
apple and cheddar

Dinner:
Almond crusted chicken 
green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment