Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kicking the habit

...again!

I gave up caffeine a while back and felt great for it. I'd have an occasional decaf coffee from time to time, but for the most part gave it all up. Then something happened. Not sure how or why, but I started to drink the nasty stuff again; the evil diet soda.

I swore it off months ago when I found out about my MGUS diagnosis. I didn't want any more chemicals entering this body. I knew I had to do everything in my power to keep all the bad stuff out so the really bad stuff wouldn't have something to feed on. That lasted about 3 months or so. Then WHAM-O! I started to have a sip here and a sip there til one day it's a vat here and a vat there. Seriously, the stuff is like a drug to me.

It's time to say good-bye once again to the nasty habit. Not only do I wish to consume as many "clean" foods as I can, but I need to get off this caffeine!  I was saying to hubs the other night how I'm starting to feel like I need to go back on an anti-depressant. Although I don't really feel depressed like I did when I had the postpartum, my moods aren't stable. I've been a grouchy Mom. That is just unacceptable to me. I love my kids. I've always wanted to be a Mom, I don't want to screw it up by being a grouchy grouch all the time.

Day one (yesterday) without any caffeine went really well. I started getting a headache around bedtime. When I woke up this morning I had a very dull headache. I decided to get my iced coffee (always decaf - I can't drink caffeinated coffee for some reason I get all jittery and grouchy) with a shot of caffeinated coffee. Did nothing for the headache, but it was bearable. At lunchtime it was getting a little rough so I decided to have a little more caffeine. I opted for a SMALL diet soda. Did nothing. I had another one. Again, nothing. Finally was able to take something and am feeling so much better.

Speaking of feeling better, I already see/feel my mood is improving. I'm not so quick to roll my eyes or snap at someone. I also noticed I'm smiling without having to force it. I'm me. Amazing! Now I just need to remember this feeling when I want to fall off the wagon!

I'm also trying to figure out if the soda is causing my bone pain these days. It's been getting worse. I thought back and realized that when I was off all the soda, I only had the pains every now-and-again. It's been almost daily as of late. Keeping it in my thoughts and will let you know how I am feeling once I have it completely out of my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment