Friday, July 8, 2011

What it all means

First I would like to thank you all for the e-mails and support. It really means a lot to me!

So, I have Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance...well, I technically have Smoldering Myeloma but my protein levels are so low that Doc really says it's MGUS. What does that mean? Well, I can tell you that it isn't a death sentence. Like I said yesterday, I do NOT have Cancer. The chances of things progressing into Cancer are about 5% per year.

Not too bad for odds huh?  Well, when I first heard those odds I was mad, angry even. Everyone kept saying "it's such a small percentage, nothing to worry about". Hrm. What about the percentage of people in my age group (under 40) who are diagnosed with MGUS or Smoldering Myeloma?  How about 1%!  I was thinking, "well, I already broke those odds who's to say I won't break the next set?"

Today things are a little different in my thought process. I know understand that IF things do progress, it will be caught VERY early. I will be checked once every 3 months for a year and as long as things are status quo, it'll change to every 6 months for the rest of my life.

I know I'm in GREAT hands. My doctor is wonderful! He took the time to listen to me, he's answered every question I've had and he makes sure I know that I'm not facing a death sentence. Instead, I am facing life. And that's exactly what he tells me at the end of each visit, "get out there and live". Since being diagnosed, it's been a mission of mine to do just that. For so many years I've sat by the sidelines watching as life goes by. I've let myself get by with the bare minimum of what I've wanted out of life. Sure, I have the big things...I have my supportive husband and my two boys who mean the world to me. But I want more. I want to be able to get in there and really enjoy my time with them...and I am on that path.

I still have a lot of research to do. Lots of questions are still left unanswered. But I don't dwell on it. I do the best I can with my diagnosis. It's not controlling me. I'm living.

No comments:

Post a Comment