Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back in the game

It never ceases to amaze me what a workout will do for my mood! I just got home from the gym and I feel like a million bucks. I feel stronger, am standing a bit taller, and have a renewed sense of "I can do this". I feel like this every time I hit-the-gym. One would think I would remember that when I'm having a day that I don't feel like working out. It's actually those kinds of days that working out is probably the most important thing to do. At least for me it is. Always gives me the kick in the butt I need.

That all being said, let me talk a bit about how I've been feeling these last few days. I said on Friday that I was going to enjoy myself on Saturday. It was my son's birthday party then we hosted a little get-together afterward for the neighborhood people. That part was more of an adult thing, but the kids got to roast marshmallows and run around outside in the dark. That's always a good time for kids.

Anyway, I had my fun on Saturday. I actually enjoyed myself. Had a few drinks but didn't over do it on my calories. Yes, I went over but things could have been MUCH worse! Sunday was rough. It wasn't due to a hangover either. Shocker, really. No, more the insomnia thing. I mentioned last week that I had a night where I woke up at an un-Godly hour and couldn't get back to sleep. Well, sleep has been a bit rough since then. Would have thought a little alcohol would have fixed that. Nope. I tossed and turned all night long. I was so miserable and tired all day Sunday. I had to take a nap at one point. I would never have made it through the day without one. It took the edge off of the lousy feeling I was experiencing, but didn't put me back in the game.

I don't know about you, but when I am exhausted I tend to make poor decisions. I don't think things through well enough to do the right thing. Especially when it comes to nutrition. That pretty much goes out the window. So, I gave in and had whatever it was that I wanted. So now I'm in for two days of less-than-stellar eating. Great.

Then comes Monday. Guess what? I got a decent night's sleep on Sunday night. You'd think I'd be back on my game right? Not. So. Much. Although it wasn't horrible, things should have been a lot better. If ever there was a day I needed the gym, it was yesterday. I stubbornly didn't go though and was left with poor feelings about my decisions at bed-time last night.

It was at that moment I decided enough-is-enough. I need to get back into the game. I have so much work to do and am so close to that first big-goal I have set for myself. Next week is going to be rough as I will be on vacation. Need to make this week count! So, eating has been right on target today. And the gym was perfect. I am back in the game!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting back in the game! To keep myself motivated on those days that I just don't feel like going to the gym I remind myself of that amazing feeling after I've finished a good workout. I even went to the extent of putting a sign up on my fridge saying - Remember how good you feel after a workout? -- I also have a sign that says - Are you sure you want to eat that?

    Sorry you haven't been sleeping well. As a chronic insomniac I can totally sympathize. My body hates me for not getting enough rest -- I'm getting better now ... but still have a ways to go before I actually sleep well.

    I hope the rest of your week goes smoothly. Sending you positive thoughts!! :)

    ReplyDelete