Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Emotional Eating

And there we have it folks!  My problem is emotional eating. It dawned on me when I reached for a second helping of cheese crackers. I wasn't hungry. I just had my snack.

I was bored
I was tired
I was stressed

All of the above has contributed to my lack of success. I guess in some ways I've had success in that I haven't been continuing to gain, but if I continue on this path...

Now to pull my head out of the sand and get moving here. Thinking of ideas to get me moving back in the right direction; get me back into living.

I have to admit, I don't get enough sleep. I go to bed way too late, and even then, I stay up to futz around on my iPhone, catching up on email, facebook status updates, playing games...That has to stop. I know it's a bad habit. Hubs "yells" at me all the time about it. I will eventually fall asleep somewhere around mid-night or just after. I get out of bed at 7:30ish. I toss and turn a lot during the night. I wake up a few times as well. And I probably have apnea but am too stubborn to have the sleep study done. I do believe the sleep issue is #1 on my list. I know I have to do better with getting into a routine and taking myself offline earlier in the night.

Boredom?  Yes, a little. I am a stay-at-home Mom. I'm very lucky to be able to stay home with my kids. That being said, I do get a little bored with my day...I want to talk a little more about this in another post. All-in-all though, I feel as if I wasn't so darn tired, I wouldn't be bored.

Stress. What stress?  Why would I have any stress?  Well, being a stay-at-home Mom, the budget does tend to get tight. There are times when I wonder how we even make it work. I also get stressed out about the state of cleanliness (or the lack-there-of) in my house. Anyone with kids knows that it's a constant battle to keep the house in pristine condition. I need to get over the thought of having a pristine house and embrace the organized chaos that is around here.   Again though, I am better with dealing with stress when I get a good night's sleep.

The moral of the story? It all comes down to rest.

And it really does. I went to bed a little earlier than usual last night and am happy to report that I am full of life today. I have more energy and am not looking to satisfy something that doesn't need to be satisfied. Life is good with adequate sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I totally relate. I have insomnia, and I find when it's worse, I'm worse. Just all around- more likely to skip a workout or give into a craving. So glad you noticed it and have the 'more sleep' option. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete