Thursday, January 3, 2013

Strength and Sacrifice

One of the popular trends I've seen over the last few years is the use of words to describe what your year is going to look like. I've sat and thought over the idea a number of times. I've even chosen words and thought about what I could do to become a part of the meaning of the words. I tend to always stop there. I never have the follow through. Well, that is about to change.

I'm choosing two words that are going to go hand-in-hand for me. They are words that I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time now so it must be time to do something with them.

Strength: as defined by Mirriam-Webster
"the quality or state of being strong : capacity for exertion or endurance"

I know that I am strong. I can physically handle a lot more than a lot of people who carry around the weight that I do. I always say that I'm weak, that I can't handle a lot. After giving birth without drugs (not by choice), I realized that I am a lot stronger than I think I am. Even in the gym, I surprise myself all the time....just about on a daily basis. Poor Damon has to listen to me whine when I'm afraid to try something because I think I can't do it only to get it done without any problems. I always joke that "I'm supposed to trust him now" every time he shows me that I can do something that I think I can't. Putting all that aside, I would like to focus on other parts of strength...1. Learning to say "no" when I'm over extended. I don't have to do or participate in every little thing just to end up feeling over whelmed and frustrated. 2. Find the strength to ask for help. Yes, I realize it's probably more of a courage thing, but I believe to have courage you need a little strength. 3. Strength to keep going when the going gets rough. I have this nasty habit of giving up too easily. My body doesn't like to shed pounds. I work hard and tend to not reap the rewards as quickly as most do. I just need to dig deep when I've been working hard to know that my hard work will eventually pay off. 

Sacrifice: as defined by Mirriam-Webster
"a : destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something elseb : something given up or lost "

I am a parent as well as a (fairly ;-)) responsible adult, so I tend to make sacrifices on a daily basis without even realizing it. Well, I've been thinking a lot more about the changes I need to make within myself and within the family unit to put myself as well as the family into a better place.  This one is a little more difficult to describe as far as what I'll be doing. I need a bit more time to think about and put into words what I'm thinking and feeling about this word. 

Have you thought about using a word to describe what your year is going to look like?

2 comments:

  1. If I can end this next year and have a shot at getting on the website PeopleOfWalmart.com I will consider it a successful year. Is there a word for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the two will work hand in hand to help you shape 2013 into the kind of year you want it to be! :)

    ReplyDelete