Tuesday, October 18, 2011

FMM: Sterotypes (on a Tuesday)

Yesterday just got away from me. I logged on to post a number of times but kept being distracted. To add to that, my head has been achy. I *should* wear glasses while I am on the computer but I haven't been and now I have a headache that just won't stop bugging me. It's my own fault. I really need to have the glasses adjusted (they are progressive lenses), but have been too lazy to get to the mall.

I am starting to think that this week is going to be a rough weigh in. I'm feeling like I'm holding a ton of water and my face looks like it's more full. My body takes a while to react to things so I'm thinking this may be from last week's fair-going and other things from then. Going to try to push the water and hit-the-gym hard for the next few days. I won't be too upset if I don't hit the 50 pound mark this week though. I knew the poor decisions from a week ago would catch up to me at some point.

And one other thing before moving on...I used to belong to an online message board for weight loss. The board was shut-down a few years back. One of the ladies decided to open up another board. It's very new. Not many people are there to chat with, but it's still a great community. If you have a moment and would like to stop by, we'd love to have you.... WeCanLoseIt.proboards.com

And now onto Friend Makin' Monday....a day late and a dollar short....


If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
FMM:  Stereotyping
Have you ever been the victim of stereotyping?  If so, will you elaborate?  What do you wish people thought of you as they notice you for the first time?
First I would like to say that there is a reason there are stereotypes. I don't get upset and offended by it because it's just a matter-of-fact. For example, I don't get upset when people tell me a Polish joke (I am Polish). I know Polish people aren't dumb, we just tend to look at things in a different way and people perceive that as being dumb. I also don't get upset when people talk about the Irish temper...I am also a bit Irish and have been known to let my Irish out a bit. It's all good. I don't go crying about it. It's a simple truth to laugh about. And that's the point, you have to laugh about it. If you can't laugh then you'll be crying  and what good is that?
That all being said, I hate "fat" stereotypes and get angry when I see the people who have created them. You know who I am talking about. The people who have given up all hope. The ones that don't shower and wear nothing but sweatpants and big 'ol sloppy shirts. You know what I am talking about right?  It breaks my heart when I see people like that. I always said to shoot me if I get to that point. 
And I was almost there. 50 pounds ago, I was almost to that point where I was about to give up all hope and say to hell with it. It was so hard to keep up with daily tasks. I was winded. I was tired. I was depressed. I hated going out in public. I didn't want to look people in the eye. Could they see my pain? Did they know that I was a human with feelings? Were they going to be mean to me or cast me dirty looks? I hated it. 
I still kinda do hate being out in public. Not as much as before though. I chuckle at things a little easier now. Like when we were at the fair last week there were these two boys (teenagers) who made a comment about my size. I honestly chuckled and thought to myself "oh, you have no idea". That is, no idea how far I've come. No idea at how strong I am. 
I have had many comments and looks tossed my way through the years. I honestly can't pinpoint any one in particular to tell you about, but I can say that yes, I have had the stereotype thing tossed my way. Most of the time though I just hold my head high and move along. It tends to shut that stuff down right in its tracks. 
Now it's your turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment