Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekend Wrap-up

What a crazy weekend!  My husband took my eldest down to see his parents on Saturday so it was just my little guy and I for the day. We went off to run errands and had a nice little lunch together. It's so nice to have one-on-one time with the kiddos. Although, I do have a lot of one-on-one time with the little guy while the bigger one is at school during the week. You know what I mean though.

This morning I took my eldest to Church. The first time in a long time, I am sad to say. My husband and I grew up and were married in the Catholic Church. Both of the boys were baptized in the Catholic Church, but we just never really were church-going people. I don't want to get into it but it's more that we don't agree with a lot of the Catholic Church's rules and the way they handle certain situations. Anyway, last year we started attending a Methodist Church. We really liked the Church and the Pastor was wonderful. The problem though was that if you missed a week, people were questioning you as to why and making comments that should have been kept to themselves. There were a few other "issues" that also led us to decide that it wasn't a place for us.

So, here we are in the Catholic Church. Again. My son is now a year behind his classmates as far as his first communion will go. He's OK with it though because there are a few kids in the neighborhood that are in the younger group so it's not like he doesn't know anyone.

So, here we are attending (Catholic) Church for the first time in a very long time. We walk in the front door, I bless myself with the Holy Water. I turn to show my son what to do and he dips his WHOLE HAND in the water. I was HORRIFIED!  There was a man coming up the stairs who saw the whole incident. Needless to say, he was none-too-happy too. I was laughing on the inside, horrified and mortified on the outside. I had to have a chat with him when we sat down. He took it in strides. Me? Not. So. Much.

So, there is my funny story of the weekend. And for some exciting news....
I wore a pair of jeans yesterday that were falling off...literally. They were really uncomfortable being so big. I would have changed had I had some clean clothes. This morning while I was getting dressed, I decided to dig out some new jeans that I bought on clearance over the summer. I didn't think they would fit, but thought it would be a good idea to have them out as incentive to keep movin'-it. I put them on. Got them to my hips and thought "there is no way"...I then got them over my hips and thought "OK, that's great, I will never be able to button them though". I was wrong again. They did button!  They were a bit on the tight side, but they buttoned. I wore them anyway. My top was long enough to cover the tightness in the belly. I enjoyed being in yet another smaller size and being that they were a bit tight it reminded me not to overeat.


And the Patriots made off with a win. Rough game, but a win.
I would say it was a pretty good weekend.
I'm just about ready to step into a terrific week!  I get to meet an online friend in person on Wednesday. So excited about that! Then on Thursday I will celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary. And Friday had best be 50 lost on that scale! (If not, it's OK - we are going to The Cheesecake Factory on Wednesday and then out to an Italian restaurant on Thursday).

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel weird to "shop" for a church? Hubby was raised Southern Baptist & I was raised Catholic, so we looked around and found an interdenominational Christian church that made us both feel at home & welcome.

    The MIL still goes to a Baptist church & when we visit we feel obligated to attend with her. The pastor actually looks around and points out who isn't there before the sermon. Then as soon as the service is over, the nosy-bodies couldn't get out of their pews fast enough to come over to find out who we were.

    Congrats on the smaller jeans!! And happy -almost-anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me chuckle with your Church story. It cracks me up how "un-Christian" like these people are really behaving when they act like that. That's the one thing I like about the Catholic Church in my town - the church is HUGE and always pretty full. It's east to blend in. :D

    ReplyDelete