Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why must we be rude?

Not much going on around here for the weekend. I don't have anything particular to write about either. I think that's why I blog for a while then go away for a while and come back to it. My blog is set up to be about my journey through weight loss (and other random topics I feel like complaining talking about). There are plenty of other things that are on my mind other than this weight loss stuff. And as much as I would love to write about them, I really don't want to have internet arguments with people. Yes, I am talking about politics. Now, I really don't want to talk about specifics! Seriously, I don't....

...but the other day I just had to jump into a conversation that was happening on Facebook. Honestly, I try my darndest not to post political things on my own page because people don't care about my opinion and quite honestly most of my Facebook friends are on the other side of my way of thinking. Anyway, someone posted something the other day and I stupidly read the comments (never, ever do that if you're passionate about a topic one way or the other)...my blood was boiling! I had to go and stick my two cents in. I was nice. No name calling. No pointing fingers. Nothing rude. Just pointed out a few ideas. Of course I knew I was going to catch some flack for it but I couldn't help it, I just couldn't bite my tongue. And so began the banter;  two of us who had a nice back-and-forth with our differences of opinion. He at one point got mad at me though and said something (almost) not nice. I called him on it and he ultimately apologized.  We continued on with our friendly banter until the third person jumped in and ripped. me. apart. Seriously dude? Back off!  I called him out on it too. Basically told him that there was no need to speak down to me or to treat me like a child. The world goes around because we have differences of opinion, no need to be rude. Then I thanked guy #1 for the talk and said I was done. All done. Then guy #2 tells me that I only speak to people who think the same way as him. Really?  Did you read the other 90 comments on the subject (yes, there were 90 replies - mostly between myself and guy #1), I CLEARLY speak to people with differing opinions so long as we can treat each other with respect. Ugh.

So, my complaint/question is why do people think it's OK to throw manners and kindness out the window when speaking with someone online?  I mean really? Sure, I had some "choice names" and words for guy #2 but I kept those tightly locked up in my head while I banging on my key board with the kind way to tell him to fly a kite or go play in traffic, as my father used to say. I guess the old adage of "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" goes right out the window when you are looking at a screen. How sad.

Alright, off my soapbox now. Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest.

Hope you enjoy your weekend!
I went to a kid's birthday party this afternoon and then around dinner we went for a short hike with my son's cub scout den. Tomorrow it's all about football. Gotta love Sunday's in the fall!

See you Monday!


3 comments:

  1. Haha, I love reading those conversations on Facebook where you can tell that people are trying to be real diplomatic about disagreeing with each other, but deep down you know they want to just punch the guy in the face. Last week my dad logged into my sisters account on accident instead of his because of that auto password feature google uses. He started negatively responding to all kinds of political discussions her friends were having. I was cracking up because all her friends must have thought it was her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stay out of the fray on Facebook too. My blood gets going on some of the discussions and it is just not good for my mood!

    ReplyDelete