Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Nutrition

This morning I went to my monthly meeting with the nutritionist. When I hopped on the scale, she was excited to see my number. She said "Wow! That's down a lot?!"
"Why yes Sangeeta! I've been working really hard and it's starting to payoff!"

I always enjoy meeting with her - I get a recharge and pushed back onto the correct path. It's not that I've "fallen off the wagon" at all, but more that I know I could be making better choices. After meeting with her, I feel I can go on for another month and make this one better than the last.

The thing I like about her the most is she's a realist. She knows there are going to be times when a brownie or pizza or even a hot dog are going to be what's on the menu. Her philosophy is that if there is something you are craving, have it. It's best to get the craving out of the way so it doesn't haunt you for more. At the same time though it's also important to recognize why you are craving a particular item. Is it physiological or is it emotional hunger. Two very different things.

A few years ago my husband and I did HMR .  We both lost weight and were happy with the results. Hubs lost something like 80 pounds, I lost 32 before becoming pregnant with my second son.  Anyway, while on that program we learned a lot about mindful eating. I know I learned the difference between my head hunger and real hunger. Even though I gained back the weight (hey! I was preggers and all), I gained any more than that because of the tools I learned while doing their program. I just didn't put the effort into getting back to the weight loss- that is, until now.

Anyway, I have a ton more I could say on the subject but will save it for another day. Today's gym session got me thinking about other things which I will write about this week. Lots of thoughts going on over here.

Speaking of the gym - today started out rough. I hopped on the bike as I usually do for my warm up. I do 25 minutes. My legs felt like they were going to fall off. I didn't think I was going to make it the full 25 minutes!  I honestly wanted to get off at 10 minutes and run away.  I didn't. I stuck it out, practically holding back the tears.  I was glad I made it through and went on to have a productive workout with my trainer.

So, next time you're doing something that's feeling rough, dig deep and finish...I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment