Monday, May 2, 2011

Recharged Batteries

Friday was a lot of fun. I spent the day with my "scrappy" friends at the Creating Keepsakes Convention (CKC).  Thankfully, I didn't spend too much money on not-needed scrapping supplies. I went with a small budget and spent maybe half of what I brought with me.

I was also supposed to head out for a 3-day weekend with my "bitches"- the Mom's at the bus stop have formed a little group which we so eloquently call "Bus Stop Bitches." We typically get together weekly at one house for our coffee gab session. It's nice to have other adults to talk to! Anywho, we were supposed to head out for the weekend but I wasn't able to go due to personal reasons. I regret it. But must move on.

Saturday and Sunday were both uneventful. Saturday was spent running from one baseball game to another while Sunday was a little more low-key. We ended up taking the kids out to play the first round of mini-golf for the season. Turns out that it'll probably be the last too!  I couldn't believe how much it costs for the four of us (remember, I have a 2 1/2 year old) to play a round of mini-golf!  So much for the cheaper "staycation" for the summer!

Anyway, here we are on Monday morning. I've already put an hour and a half into the gym time. Burned 1200+ calories and am rearing to get going on the rest of this week. I have some calories to make up on for the weekend. I splurged yesterday and had a hot dog at the BBQ stand where we played mini-golf.  They also have the best ice cream around...opted not to have any. Big step there!

My trainer was none-to-happy with my nutrition for the weekend.  The way I look at it is this: I have 36 years of really bad habits under my belt. I've come a long way in changing my habits but each day is still a struggle.  The fact that I got away from the stand with just a hot dog (had a side of potato salad too, but I only had 2 bites!!!) is huge for me!  Normally I would have said "to heck with it!"- had the hot dog, the whole side of potato salad and then and ice cream to wash it all down. I need to stay in the positive; not beating myself up over a choice I made in a moment of weakness.   I've also learned that the more I say "no" to something that is trying to entice me to "the dark side", the more I want it....then when I do indulge, the ice cream and everything else comes with it.

This is a life-long process. It's not something that I can be 100% on 100% of the time. The fact is that I need to live. We all do. I'm keeping the process realistic. I'm going to allow myself to make a poor choice every now and again. But I know when I do make those choices, I am doing so with a clear head. I'm not going to let myself go way overboard but rather enjoy in the choices I do make so the next time I decide to make a "poor choice" it still will be a choice made within reason.

So, my plan for this week as far as the gym goes:
Today- 25 mins on the bike followed by 1 hour training session
Tuesday - 25 mins on the bike followed by 1 hour upper body training session (self-guided)
Wednesday- "Mini vacation" as Edmund calls it.  I will do my best to get into the gym for a bike ride.
Thursday- 25 mins. on the bike followed by 1 hour training session
Friday -25 mins on the bike followed by 1 hour training session

To those who aren't into the gym, this may look like a daunting task. I rather enjoy it. Gets my batteries charged and makes it a whole heck of a lot easier to make better nutritional choices.

What have you done to make your Monday a great start for the week?

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    Thanks for the inspiration! I am not a big fan of the gym, but I did get out with my loud beagle for a 45 minute hike at the quarry. Being outside makes me happy.

    I came home and had tuna fish on a bed of field greens with hot house cherry tomatoes dressed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I feel good. One of the drawbacks to not using gym equipment is that I don't have any idea how many calories I burned...and I didn't weigh and measure my lunch...hopefully it all works out. ;-(

    Like you, I am focusing on the positive. I can't let one step back keep me from taking four more forward. You're an inspiration! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete